Copycat Hostess Cupcakes
¼ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup flour
½ cup cocoa powder
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
¼ cup oil
¼ cup hot water
2 cups heavy whipping cream (for the filling and ganache topping)
½ cup powdered sugar (for the filling)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract (for the filling)
1 cup good-quality chocolate chips (for ganache topping)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the white sugar, brown sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl. Mix the dry ingredients together until the mixture is free of any clumps.
- Form a well in the center of the mix. Beat in the egg, and then add in the oil. Then, mix in the milk until fully incorporated.
- Once the batter comes together, mix in the ¼ cup of hot water. The water should be very hot to the touch but not boiling.
- Prepare a cupcake pan with liners. Use a measuring cup to scoop the batter and fill each one halfway full. Bake the chocolate cupcakes for 20 minutes until fully set. Once baked, set aside to completely cool.
- To make the cream filling, add 1 cup of heavy cream into a mixing bowl. Whip the cream until soft peaks form. This should take 8 to 10 minutes of continuous mixing. Once peaks form, whip in ½ cup powdered sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- To make the chocolate ganache topping, heat 1 cup of heavy cream on the stovetop until just below boiling. Pour the 1 cup chocolate chips into a bowl. Pour the cream over top, allow to melt, and then stir until a smooth ganache forms. Allow to cool before use.
- Use a piping bag fitted with a large round tip to fill the cupcakes. Fill the piping bag with cream filling, and then push it into the middle of the cupcake. Push the cream filling into the cupcake as you pull the bag up and out of the hole.
- Once filled, dip the top of each cupcake in the ganache. Swirl to allow any excess drip off, and then allow them to set.
- Mix additional whipped cream with more powdered sugar to thicken it for the white squiggly line on top. Put the topping in a piping bag. Carefully draw the squiggle line to finish the cupcakes.